Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Pioneer Woman

For anyone who doesn't know who The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, is - click on the link on the side of my blog. She wanted to be a city girl, fell in love with a cowboy and lives on a cattle ranch. She is witty, a talented cook and photographer, and just an all around nice woman. Her blog's popularity has skyrocketed and she just published her first cookbook.
About 5 or 6 weeks ago I saw that she would be at The King's English bookstore in Salt Lake City on Nov 4th. I immediately planned on going. I was going to leave early in the afternoon so I could get there in time but due to kid's various lessons and other factors, I was not able to leave until 6:15 for the 7 pm book signing. I had called King's English at 4:20 asking if anyone was already lining up. They said no and that I should not have any problem getting my book signed if I didn't get there til 7. What I did not know is that The King's English (which I'll just now call TKE) did not really know who Ree was and were very unprepared for her popularity.
My friend Lynette and I got there at 7 only to see several hundred people standing around. TKE had some wacky system of assigning people a letter and number ticket. 20 A's. 20 B's, etc up through R. (Only about 300 tickets) I was in the line of people who had no ticket.
I did see Ree for a second as she walked past the line into the store and got a picture. She was tall and very pretty, smiling and waving.
As we stood in line TKE started calling letters. It took about 20 minutes for the A's to go in, 20 for the B's. After over 2 hours they had been calling H's. We thought it was going ok and were hopeful. About then a TKE employee came out and said if we didn't have a ticket they could not guarantee we would get our books signed. They said they would stay open "as late as they could" but most likely those without tickets were out of luck. She revealed that even though they were calling H's, the actual signing was happening for the E's. 2 plus hours for 80 people's books. With well over 500 people standing there, it was obvious that we were not going to get my books signed. We left.
Even though I didn't get the books for my brother and myself signed, it was still fun. I had a good time with Lynette, we met nice people in line who shared hot chocolate with us. It was a beautiful night, not too cold for November. I was disappointed to have not gotten the signature, but I got a pic of Ree. I had a great time beforehand with my makeup artist friend, Dawn Weidauer who did my makeup for me before I headed to Salt Lake.
I'm thinking that the next time TKE does a book signing, they better figure out who they have coming! Check out this story I ran across this morning from another blogger: http://jetsetcarina.blogspot.com/2009/11/handle-this.html


1 comment:

Mommas Soapbox said...

Wow, I'd say there was a big crowd!

bummer you had to go home before meeting her.

She is a hoot.